History of the Canadian Institute of Management in Manitoba
Our history in Manitoba dates back to October 8, 1964 when nine visionary leaders established the Canadian Industrial Management Association (Manitoba Division) incorporated in Winnipeg, Manitoba. The name changed in 1970 at the National Conference in Winnipeg to become the Canadian Institute of Management.
These nine visionary leaders became the first Manitoba board members:
- Martin James Anthony Lyons - Works Manager
- Donald Harvey Jackman - Accountant
- George Elwyn Douglas - Accountant
- Serge Edward DeConinck - Accountant
- Timothy Ryan - Professor
- William John Antiliff Bullman - Manager
- Charles Leslie Hill - Manager
- George Hugh Boucher - Manager
- Douglas Godfrey Renton - Purchasing Agent
Since 1964, the Winnipeg Chapter has been very successful:
- Over 3,400 individuals have received the Certified in Management designation in Manitoba.
- Currently, Manitoba is the largest chapter of CIM in Canada with over 754 members, including 305 students, 2 Chartered Managers, 66 Professional Managers and 356 Certified in Management.
- During this time we have partnered with the University of Manitoba - Extended Education as our education partner, with the first class graduating in 1966.
- The Winnipeg Chapter has hosted five National Conferences: in 1970, 1982, 1994, 2000 and 2009.
- In October 2014, the Winnipeg Chapter celebrated its 50th Anniversary with a Gala Dinner.
- As part of the Annual General Meeting on October 5th, 2016 the membership ratified a name change to better reflect the growth of CIM in Manitoba. The Winnipeg Chapter was renamed the Manitoba Chapter.
Throughout our history we have and continue to make significant contributions by having representation on the National Board of Directors. CIM in Manitoba continues to innovate and contribute to leading the development of the Canadian Institute of Management.
The CIM's Manitoba Chapter is currently the largest Chapter. It has always been active and a driving force behind National initiatives, and has provided both National Presidents and Directors. Manitoba is equally strong in both education and program events, to provide members with a full range of options to maximize their CIM membership experience.
For further information on CIM in Manitoba, its programs, activities and membership, please contact us:
Canadian Institute of Management - Manitoba Chapter
30-360 Main St. Unit 13B- PMB# 313
Winnipeg, MB R3C 3Z8
Chapter Committee Members
Chapter Chair - Steve Lupky, C.I.M., P.Mgr., C.Mgr.
Vice Chair Finance & Treasurer - Dennie Cormack, C.I.M.
Past Chair - Gilles Abraham, C.I.M., P.Mgr., C.Mgr.
Vice Chair Marketing - Kalimukwa Sinyama, C.I.M.
Vice Chair Member Relations - Giselle Pieczonka Pagani, C.I.M., P.Mgr., C.Mgr.
Vice Chair Professional Development - Tim Brown, P.Mgr., C.Mgr.
Vice Chair Stakeholder Engagement - Chuck Ibezimako, C.I.M., C.Mgr.
University of Manitoba Liaison - Sheila Lapinski Smith
University of Manitoba Liaison - Paul Jenkins
Manitoba is pleased to welcome members in the following categories:
For the Fee Schedule, click here.